By default, SharePoint displays calendars with a standard Month (Sunday through Saturday) format. There are several ways to change this view.
You can change the scope of the calendar to view day by day or week by week. When the calendar is selected, click on the Calendar tab at the top of the screen. In the scope group, select Day, Week, or Month, and the calendar will be updated temporarily.
To permanently change the default scope of the calendar you will need to create a custom view.
SharePoint Calendar Custom Views
SharePoint Calendars are essentially lists of items that have start and end times. This list can be viewed in several different ways.
To create a custom view, click on Create View on the Calendar tab. You can also modify the view with the button just below. The next screen offers several options for different types of views. After making your selection, filter the events, sort by columns, and group to show just the right events in just the right way. The view you create can be saved publicly or privately.
The Standard view displays events as a sortable list instead of as a matrix of days. This allows you to show more events in the same screen space and more easily display multiple events on the same days.
Standard View also has a close relative “Standard View, with Expanded Recurring Events”. This option has all of the same features as Standard view, but also shows each instance of a recurring event.
Calendar Views can also be customized by filtering for certain metadata, changing the text visible in each date for each event, and changing the default scope.
The datasheet view makes the calendar look like an Excel Spreadsheet. It is convenient for quickly editing the details of events. It can also be sorted and filtered by default and by clicking on the column headers.
For managing projects, a Gantt chart view of the calendar may be very helpful for showing dependencies between tasks.
Use metadata filters to create views of calendars that show only a portion of the events. For example, in the project calendar from above, you may want to create a view of only the Wilford client events to place on the Wilford project page. This is fairly simple to do.
- Select your calendar
- Click on the “Calendar” tab and select “Create View”
- Choose whatever type of view you like, Standard, Datasheet, Calendar, of Gantt.
- Name the view, then in the filter section, select the column header, enter a value, and click “OK”.
Displaying Custom Views
After you have created the custom view, you can display that view of the calendar by default on a new page.
Add the calendar to the page
- Navigate to the page on which you want to place the filtered view of the calendar.
- Click “Edit” in the top right hand corner.
- Put your cursor where you want the calendar.
- Under the Insert Tab, choose “Web Part”, and select your web part.
- While in edit mode, hover over the checkbox in the top right hand corner of the calendar web part and click on the tiny down arrow that appears. Then click on “Edit Web Part”.
- The Edit Web Part menu will appear to the right. Under List Views, choose your desired view from the Selected View drop down and click OK. Then save.