Standard lists of links, whether internal or external, are pretty boring, and users hate boring.
Here are a couple of ways to polish it up a bit.
Add an image
- Start by going to List Settings under the List tab.
- Click Create Column
- Name the column Icon, choose Hyperlink or Picture for the type, and under Format URL as: choose Picture. Then click OK.
You’ll then need to add some pictures to your site. I usually just place these in site assets. The location doesn’t really matter so long as they don’t move and you can get the URL.
To put pictures in Site Assets:
- Click Site Contents in the Quick Launch menu on the left.
- Click on the Site Assets App.
- Drag and drop your Pictures into that library.
- Click on the Ellipsis (…) next to your picture and copy the URL.
Once you have the URL, you can add that picture to your link list.
- Return to you link list and click + new link
- Type in the Web Address to which you want to link
- Past the picture URL into the appropriate field
- Fill out any other fields and click ok
Your picture will appear. You may want to edit your picture to be the right size for the page.
Promoted Links- A little more pizzazz
Most users are familiar with promoted links from their experience rolling out a new site. The home pages of new sites, by default, have a list of promoted links for adding content.
- Click on Site Contents and choose add an app.
- Click on Promoted Links, give it a name, and click OK.
- Find your new Promoted Links App and click on it.
Your list will, of course, be blank. Adding links requires looking at the app in a different view, so first, click on List and choose All Promoted Links. You can then add links one at a time or with the Edit this list option.
This option has a nice animation, but it does take up a lot of space.